To support youth and communities in creating healthy and safe environments through crime prevention, substance abuse prevention,
and other behavioral health services.
Healthy, safe and resilient communities.
A Few Words
Prevention and Resiliency Services, Inc. (PARS) has provided prevention services in Shawnee County since 1965. When PARS was incorporated, it was known as National Council on Alcoholism, Kansas Division. The agency’s original focus was on increasing the understanding of alcoholism, its nature, its treatment and decreasing the harms and incidence of alcoholism.
As issues have changed and knowledge has evolved over the years, PARS has continually responded to emerging trends, research on the prevention of addiction, and how programs, practices and policies influence individuals and the environment in which they live. Our programs and activities recognize that the individual, family, school, and community domains are all interconnected and influence not only substance use, but also impact school dropouts, violence, suicide, teen pregnancy and other problem behaviors. PARS has a strong foundation of community, neighborhood, and school partnerships and has been nationally recognized for its substance abuse prevention and crime prevention services.
As a health and safety connector, PARS will continue to educate, engage, and empower our community to reduce substance abuse and crime in our community.
How We Operate
- Evidence-based and researched-based strategies are effective in reducing substance abuse and crime.
- Community members play an essential role in preventing crime – it takes a community to impact change.
- We must be current with trends related to substance abuse and behavioral health and we must learn from our work with community members.
- To affect change within our community, we must partner with diverse stakeholders.
- We must employ multiple strategies to reach our target audience; this is critical to our work.
- Our community is defined by the people we serve.
GET TO KNOW US
Meet the Board
VP IT Applications
Topeka Public Schools Foundation
Commercial Loan Officer
CoreFirst Bank & Trust
Manager, Corporate Security
Framewoods & Southwind Gallery
Brian L. Carver CISSP, CISM
Manager, Information Technology and Services
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
Retired, Goodyear Tire Company
Vice-President of Resource Development
Communities in Schools of Mid-America
Angel Romero Sr.
SFC, USA (RET)
Aaron A. Starr
Public Relations Manager