Building a Resilient Community
The Power of Prevention
Prevention and Resiliency Services, Inc. (PARS), is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation that has provided
prevention services in Shawnee County since 1965. The organization has undergone several name changes as the prevention industry has evolved. When PARS was initially incorporated, it was known as the Topeka Council on Alcoholism and then updated to National Council on Alcoholism, Kansas. The agency’s original focus was on increasing the understanding of alcoholism, its nature, and its treatment and decreasing the harms and incidence of alcoholism. In 1993 the name was changed to Shawnee Regional Prevention and Recovery Services to include other substances and alcohol. The name was changed one last time to Prevention and Resiliency Services Inc, also known as PARS, in 2020.
As issues have changed and knowledge has evolved, PARS has continually responded to emerging trends, research on the prevention of addiction, and how programs, practices, and policies influence individuals and the environment in which they live. Our programs and activities recognize that the individual, family, school, and community domains are interconnected, influencing substance use, school dropouts, violence, suicide, teen pregnancy, and other problem behaviors. PARS has a strong foundation of community, neighborhood, and school partnerships and is committed to evidence-based programming that educates, engages, and empowers our community to reduce substance use and create a more resilient community.
- Evidence-based and researched-based strategies are effective in reducing substance abuse and crime.
- Community members play an essential role in preventing crime – it takes a community to impact change.
- We must be current with substance abuse and behavioral health trends and learn from our work with community members.
- To affect change within our community, we must partner with diverse stakeholders.
- We must employ multiple strategies to reach our target audience; this is critical to our work.
- Our community is defined by the people we serve.
Meet The Team
Meet The Board
CoreFirst Bank & Trust
Mainstreet Credit Union
Aaron A Starr
Kansas Lawyers Assistance Program
Lt. Matt Danielson
Topeka Police Department
Blesk Consulting LLC
Heartland Regional Alcohol and Drug Assessment Center
SFC Angel Romero
Topeka Bar Association